For years, I have read books my recent and older authors that have shaped my walk with Jesus. Having a mentor in my life has always been important in my spiritual growth, but there are several “mentors” that I have never met and will never meet. These people have mentored me through their writing and through their fervent love for Christ. Most people would define themselves as either an “avid reader” or “I never pick up a book non-existent reader.” I used to be the latter. But during college I began to pick up books out of my hunger to know God more and ever since then I haven’t been able to stop reading. When I don’t read other books, the fire in my heart starts to fizzle. There is a great awakening of the blaze when we read other’s passions and lessons! I want to challenge you, whether you love to read or (think) you don’t like to read, to pick up a book that will challenge your heart and awaken your mind. Below are some books that I have wrestled through and highly recommend. I would love for you to comment below with other books you have read that have been instrumental in your own life as well! Always remember, though, that no book will ever replace the Word of God. We should never place the words of man over the inspired word of God. Rather, we should pick other books to read that will enhance our knowledge of the Word and encourage us daily to live in obedience to God’s calling. Books should make you hunger for God’s Word even more. That is my desire in the list that is below.
Grab that cup of coffee, a cozy blanket, and pick up a book.
You will be amazed the things God teaches you through the obedience of reading.
- “Tortured for Christ” by Richard Wurmbrand – You can get this for FREE here! It is a short and powerful read.
- “The Insanity of God” by Nik Ripken – I read this book in two days. It will open your eyes to what God is doing around the world and ignite a fire in your heart to share the gospel!
- “The Insanity of Obedience” by Nik Ripken – This book is the follow-up to the previous one. It is even more practical and eye-opening. I am halfway through right now.
- “Reckless Abandon” by David Sitton
- “Kisses From Katie” by Katie Davis
- “Let The Nations Be Glad” by John Piper – Get this book for free here!
- “Tradecraft” by Larry McCraary, Caleb Crider, Rodney Calper, Wade Stephens
- “Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God” by J.I. Packer
- “A Chance To Die” by Elisabeth Elliot – The biography of Amy Carmichael, missionary to India.
- “Through The Gates of Splendor” by Elisabeth Elliot
- “The Jesus Hearted Woman” by Jodi Detrick – I LOVE this book. If you are in any level of leadership, definitely read this book. (Basically, every one of you leads in some way:)
- “Clout” by Jenni Catron
- “Don’t Waste Your Life” by John Piper – Get this book for free here!
- “Love Not The World” by Watchman Nee – Read it online for free here!
- “To Live Is Christ to Die Is Gain” by Matt Chandler – A study on Philippians
- “The True Vine” by Andrew Murray – A study on John 15
- “Crazy Love” by Francis Chan – This book ignited a passion in my heart to live as a believer fully in awe of the gospel. I would recommend going back to this from time and time again for a fresh perspective.
- “Resolutions for Women” by Priscilla Shirer
- “If” by Amy Carmichael – This tiny book will challenge your heart with every statement.
- “Follow Me” by David Platt – Again, this book is challenging and eye-opening about discipleship and sharing the gospel.
- “Radical” by David Platt
- “Boundaries” by Cloud and Townsend
- “Breaking Free” by Beth Moore – I have given this book to so many friends. God used this book during a season of my life when I was struggling with my appearance and was trapped by an eating disorder. The Lord opened my eyes to my struggle as I read and to the freedom He offers! (Read more about my story here)
- “Simply Tuesday” by Emily Freeman
- “The Best Yes” by Lysa TerKheurst
- “The Practice of the Presence of God” by Brother Lawrence – I have read this 4 times already and will continue to reread it. It is a short read and opens your eyes to the reality of God’s presence in our lives each day.
- “Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life” by Donald S. Whitley – I need to reread this book. It taught me the disciplines of the Christian life in a beautiful way!
- “Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?” by Philip Yancey – I have to admit, this book took me a full year to complete. Partly because I was just beginning to read again, and partly because there is so much meat to it I had to take bite-sized chunks!
- “Prayer, It’s Nature And Scope” by Trumbull – I am not sure if you can buy this anymore, but read it online here.
- “The Lost Art of True Beauty” by Leslie Ludy – ANY book by Leslie Ludy is going to be powerful and point you to the gospel. Check out her online magazine – “Set Apart Girl“
- “Perfectly Unique: Praising God From Head to Foot” by Annie Downs – All of Annie’s books are great and point girls to love Jesus!
Morning and Evening Devotion
- “Streams In The Dessert” by Mrs. Charles B. Cowman
- “My Utmost For His Highest” by Oswald Chambers
- “Psalms” by Charles Spurgeon
- “Mended” by Angie Smith
- “Keep A Quiet Heart” by Elisabeth Elliot
- “Promises Promises: Understanding And Encouraging Your Husband“
- “You and Me Forever” by Francis and Lisa Chan
- “This Momentary Marriage” by John Piper – Read it for FREE here!
- “The Meaning of Marriage” by Timothy Keller
- “The Power of a Praying Wife” by Stormie Omartian
- “Passion And Purity” by Elisabeth Elliot
I would love to hear what books your recommend as well! Leave a comment below with more books to add to the list!
reading a good book with you,