Social media is now an integral part of the culture we live in. There's really no way to get around being a user of at least one social media platform. The best deals, fastest news and easiest ways to stay in touch all come through the form of social media. For a few reasons, I have been hesitant to use social media regularly. The reason is I see the perfect storm of life and death in using them. I see a huge potential for comparison, addiction and missing sweet moments right before my eyes while I stare down at a tiny screen. Then again, I see a huge potential for encouragement, inspiration, sharing the Gospel creatively and connecting with other women who have similar passions. So what do we do? How do we find a balance in using social media as a tool and not allowing social media to rule over us? The beautiful truth is, this isn't a new problem. Ever since Adam and Eve sinned in the garden, God has given us a choice of life or death. In the beginning they chose death, but God, being so wonderfully rich in mercy, chose life for us. He began to work all events in time to lead to Jesus coming to save us. His blood ransomed us from death. Deuteronomy 30:19 tells us "I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live." Choose life. That is the answer to the social media dilemma I've had in my heart. I must choose life and not death. I must use every tool God has given me to share the Gospel of Jesus with the world. And, honestly, I can reach parts of the world I never imagined through social media!
Our culture is inundated with "I". I want to take the "i" out of "iPhone". I want all that I do to be done in love. I don't want my social media presence to be focused around "me" and inevitably make myself a mini-idol. I want my use of social media to be an act of worship and adoration of my King, Jesus. The world doesn't need more of me, it needs more of Jesus. I want to truly live life beautifully, for the glory of God, using every means He has given me to make much of Him.
In order to use social media (the platforms I am on are Instagram, Twitter and Facebook), I need to set parameters or guidelines to keep my focus. Jonathan Edwards created a list of Resolutions that he committed to live by. Here are a few of them:
- “Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.”
- “Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.”
- “Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God’s glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure...”
I am creating guidelines to keep myself in check as I use social media as a tool for the Gospel. Here are a few of them:
- I will only post beauty, truth and grace.
- I will ask myself, does this point to Jesus or me?
- I will only post what will encourage and build up.
- I will only post words of life.
- I will daily encourage someone I don’t know.
- I will rejoice in the the things happening in other people’s lives.
- I will reach out to those in need.
- I will share the Gospel through word, picture and action.
- I will not post something that glorifies myself.
- I will not post something that may make someone stumble, envious or feel like they are not enough.
- I will not post something that will make someone think too highly of me.
- I will not post something that I would compare myself to.
What about you? What are some guidelines you have set so that you choose life on social media? I've learned that in any area of my life that I don't intentionally put boundaries around, Satan sneaks in to steal my joy and make me ineffective. It's time that we, as daughters of the King, fight and rise up to be "grace-speakers" to the next generation. Whether that is through an iPhone, computer or hand-written letter, let's do this!
Also, here are some great ideas of how to "choose life" through your social media presence created by The Tiny Twig. I loved this post and think it has some great ideas!
(If you would like free desktop backgrounds and iPhone backgrounds, check out the "Free Inspiration" section! Much love to you!)