Breathe: Leader Guide + Online Study Details
For the majority of my life the word ‘Lent’ simply conjured up images of what came out of the dryer or what needed rolling off clothes, and nothing more. The season of Lent, although incredibly important to the Church calendar, just wasn’t something that our Southern Baptist Church really emphasized or celebrated. It wasn’t until a few years ago that I began to grasp and really comprehend the depths and importance of the Lenten season.
Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and continues throughout the following six week period leading up to Easter Sunday. This 40-day season has been prominent in church history for thousands of years and is often accompanied with a time of fasting, prayer and penance in the more traditional denominations.
Whether you’ve observed Lent your entire life, or you are just hearing about it for the first time, these weeks that lead us to remembering the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus are a beautiful invitation to the believer. It’s a time for us to focus on the sacrifice of God and prepare our heart for worship as we remember the ultimate turning point of the Christian faith.
As Lent begins next Wednesday, we will begin digging into the Psalms and praying through the Scriptures following our Breathe Study. The study focuses on 40 different Psalms and begins with some introduction and guidance on how to pray using the Word of God.
The number 40 is symbolic all throughout Scripture.
- Moses spent 40 days on Mount Sinai with Jesus.
- The Israelites wandered in the wilderness for 40 years.
- Noah took cover in the ark for 40 days and nights.
- Jesus spent 40 days in the desert fasting and being tempted by the devil before He began His earthly ministry.
This number carries a weight and significance throughout Scripture, so the 40 days of Lent are a beautiful continuation of this symbolic number. The 40 Psalms we’ve selected to pray express so many human emotions and circumstances from the Psalmists, and serve as a strong foundation to pray Scripture to the Lord.
C.S. Lewis explains that prayer must be genuine and honest:
“We must lay before him what is in us, not what ought to be in us.”
This is our hope through praying Scripture - that the words we read in the Psalms would serve as a way to express what’s truly in our hearts. When we do not have the words to say to communicate what we are feeling or experiencing, the Word of God is the best starting place. When we pray God’s Word back to Him, we are acknowledging that His Word brings life and joy and that He knows us better than we even know ourselves. He searches our heart and He knows the words we will say before they are even on our tongue! His Word does not return void, and we can take refuge in the promises we find in Scripture on our worst and best days.
On Thursday nights throughout the study Gretchen will be leading a group at her house and will stream the teaching live on Facebook. The Facebook live videos will be at 8:00 PM Eastern time on the Life Lived Beautifully Facebook page. We would love for you to join us live, however, if you can't join us live you can watch the replay anytime after!
We’ll share the weekly Psalms on the blog and Facebook on Sunday nights so that even if you don’t have the study, you can read along and pray these verses with us.
If you plan to lead a small group of ladies through the study together, we’ve created a free leader guide for you to use. It comes with questions to help you facilitate discussion and some tips for structuring your time together. We’re also sharing some favorite recipes from our team if you want to have some treats each week!
Here is the schedule for you to follow along with the LLB Community through the Breathe Study:
- Wednesday - 3/1/17 - Intro to the Study (page 5) - Heart Check Day 1 - on the Blog
- Thursday - 3/2/17 - Intro to the Psalms (page 6) - Heart Check Day 2 - on the Blog
- Friday - 3/3/17 - How to Pray the Psalms (page 7)
- Monday - 3/6/17 - Matthew 6 Example (page 8)
- Tuesday - 3/7/17 - Psalm 1 Worksheet (page 9)
- Wednesday - 3/8/17 - Book One Intro (page 11) and Psalm 4 (page 12)
- Thursday - 3/9/17 - Psalm 8 (page 13)
- Friday - 3/10/17 - Psalm 13 (page 14)
- Saturday - 3/11/17 - Psalm 19 (page 15)
- Sunday - 3/12/17 - Psalm 27 (page 16)
- Monday - 3/13/17 - Psalm 34 (page 17)
- Tuesday - 3/14/17 - Psalm 37 (page 18)
- Wednesday - 3/15/17 - Psalm 40 (page 19
- Thursday - 3/16/17 - Book Two Intro (page 22) and Psalm 42 (page 23)
- Friday - 3/17/17 - Psalm 45 (page 24)
- Saturday - 3/18/17 - Psalm 51 (page 25)
- Sunday - 3/19/17 - Psalm 55 (page 26)
- Monday - 3/20/17 - Psalm 62 (page 27)
- Tuesday - 3/21/17 - Psalm 63 (page 28)
- Wednesday - 3/22/17 - Psalm 67 (page 29)
- Thursday - 3/23/17 - Psalm 70 (page 30)
- Friday - 3/24/17 - Book Three Intro (page 33) and Psalm 73 (page 34)
- Saturday - 3/25/17 - Psalm 77 (page 35)
- Sunday - 3/26/17 - Psalm 78 (page 36)
- Monday - 3/27/17 - Psalm 84 (page 37)
- Tuesday - 3/28/17 - Psalm 85 (page 38)
- Wednesday - 3/29/17 - Psalm 86 (page 39)
- Thursday - 3/30/17 - Psalm 88 (page 40)
- Friday - 3/31/17 - Psalm 89 (page 41)
- Saturday - 4/1/17 - Book Four Intro (page 44) and Psalm 90 (page 45)
- Sunday - 4/2/17 - Psalm 91 (page 46)
- Monday - 4/3/17 - Psalm 95 (page 47)
- Tuesday - 4/4/17 - Psalm 96 (page 48)
- Wednesday - 4/5/17 - Psalm 101 (page 49)
- Thursday - 4/6/17 - Psalm 103 (page 50)
- Friday - 4/7/17 - Psalm 104 (page 51)
- Saturday - 4/8/17 - Psalm 106 (page 52)
- Sunday - 4/9/17 - Book Five Intro (page 55) and Psalm 107 (page 56)
- Monday - 4/10/17 - Psalm 115 (page 57)
- Tuesday - 4/11/17 - Psalm 118 (page 58)
- Wednesday - 4/12/17 - Psalm 119 (page 59)
- Thursday - 4/13/17 - Psalm 121 (page 60)
- Friday - 4/14/17 - Psalm 139 (page 61)
- Saturday - 4/15/17 - Psalm 142 (page 62)
- Sunday - 4/16/17 - Psalm 150 (page 63)
These dates could be changed to go through the study at any time, but we hope this structure gives you a better idea of how we’ll be going through the study. Don’t forget we have free lockscreens, a Breathe playlist, and we’ll continue to share other helpful tips and tools throughout the next two months!
We are excited to "breathe" with you! If you have any other questions comment below and we will be in touch with you!
We’re eager and anticipating the Lord to move through His powerful Word.
breathing in His grace upon grace,
Rachael + Gretchen + the LLB Team
(Photography by Allison Naylor)